And the scary facts for pedestrians on Halloween don’t end there. Researchers have also found that:
- The majority of the fatal traffic accidents involving pedestrians on Halloween occur between 6 pm and 9 pm, with the hour between 6 and 7 being the deadliest.
- Less than 1 in 3 pedestrian accidents involving children on Halloween occurs at an intersection or crosswalk.
So, as you and your family gear up for a fun – and safe – Halloween this year, below are some safety tips to keep in mind.
Halloween Safety for Child Pedestrians
- Make sure trick-or-treaters always stay on the sidewalk or in designated pedestrian areas. If they need to walk somewhere where there are no paths, make sure they walk facing oncoming traffic, as far away from traffic as possible.
- Warn children to be careful around parked cars and driveways, as vehicles could start moving at any point.
- Before letting kids out to trick-or-treat, make sure they understand how to safely cross the street (i.e., only cross at designated areas when they have the right-of-way and motorists see them).
- Make sure all children younger than 12 are accompanied by an adult when they go trick-or-treating.
- Give children flashlights or glow sticks so they are visible (and they can see) as it gets dark. You may even want to include reflective tape on their costumes and/or treat bags.
Halloween Safety for Drivers
- Be on the lookout for children, especially when driving in residential areas and/or around schools.
- Drive at least 5 mph slower in areas where there are children trick-or-treating and be prepared to step on the brakes at any time (as kids can run into traffic).
- Don’t drive drunk or distracted. Stay alert, as the driving environment on Halloween can be far more complicated.
Contact a Columbia SC Personal Injury Lawyer at Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A. Attorneys at Law
If you have been hit by a car – or if a loved one has been harmed in a traffic accident, contact a Columbia SC personal injury lawyer at Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A. for clear answers about your rights and options for proceeding.
Call our firm at (800) 531-9780 or email us via the contact form on this page to set up a free, no obligations initial consult with one of our lawyers. During this meeting, you can find out more about your rights, as well as how we can help you.
From our six office locations throughout South Carolina, our attorneys provide the highest quality legal services to injured people and families in Columbia, Alken, Camden, Sumter, Orangeburg, Greenville, Florence, Beaufort, Irmo, Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head Island, West Columbia, Rock Hill, Charleston, Lexington, Winnsboro, Summerville, and throughout South Carolina.