Thousands of infant car seats made by Britax have recently been recalled by federal regulators at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). The problem with these recalled car seats, according to the recent recall announcement, lies in their potentially faulty handles, which can crack or break, presenting a falling hazard to infants.
The specific names of the Britax car seats that are at the center of this recall include (with the recalled model numbers following in parentheses):
- Britax B-Safe 35 (E9LU65M, E9LU65P, E9LU63F, E9LU66R, E9LS63F, EXLU65M)
- Britax B-Safe 35 Elite (E9LS55T, E9LS56P, E9LS55U, E9LS66C, E9LS65U)
- Britax B-Safe 35 Travel System (S914900, S915400, S915200, S921900,
These recalled child car seats, which were reportedly made between Oct. 2014 and July 2015, have been associated with more than 70 consumer complaints, one of which involved a report of an infant suffering a head injury when the seat fell to the ground (after the handle broke).
The Britax Infant Car Seat Recall: More Important Info for Consumers
- Where the recalled car seats were sold – According to regulators, the recalled Britax infant car seats were sold at a number of major retailers, including (but not limited to) Target, Babies R Us and Amazon.com, from November 2014 through January 2016.
- What to do if you have a recalled Britax car seat – If you own a recalled Britax infant car seat, officials are advising that you immediately stop carrying the seat with the faulty handle until the appropriate repairs have been made. To obtain a repair kit from Britax (and remove the fall hazard associated with these car seats), click here. Officials have noted that it is still safe to use these recalled car seats, as long as they are fixed in vehicles and are not being carried by the defective handles.
Columbia SC Personal Injury Lawyer at Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A. Attorneys at Law
If your child has been injured by a dangerous car seat – or if you or someone you love has been harmed by any defective consumer product, contact a Columbia SC personal injury lawyer at Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A. for effective legal advocacy. Since 1993, our lawyers have been committed to protecting the rights of injured people and helping them succeed in their financial recovery.
Call our firm at 866-881-8623 or send us an email via the contact form on this page to set up a free, no obligations initial consult with one of our lawyers. During this meeting, you can find out more about your rights and options, as well as how we can help you.