W. Hugh McAngus, Jr.
Hugh McAngus leads Chappell, Smith & Arden’s Litigation team, overseeing all files in active litigation. Hugh’s primary practice involves trucking litigation, representing individuals who have been injured or had family members killed in collisions involving commercial vehicles.
Although focusing primarily on trucking cases, Hugh handles many other types of personal injury and wrongful death matters, including automobile collision, nursing home negligence, premises liability, dram shop, and products liability cases. Hugh’s trial victories include a $12,000,000.00 verdict in a personal injury case arising out of a shooting at a nightclub that left his client paralyzed from the chest down and a $5,000,000.00 settlement in a personal injury case in what is widely considered one of South Carolina’s most conservative counties. In addition to his trial level work, Hugh has also briefed and argued cases before the South Carolina Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
Hugh joined Chappell, Smith & Arden as a law clerk and has practiced as an attorney since 2006.
Hugh also maintains leadership positions in many professional associations. He is the current Vice President of the South Carolina Association for Justice and is South Carolina’s Revitalization Board Member of the American Association for Justice. He has also served on the Membership and Underride Committees of the AAJ’s Trucking Litigation Group.
Hugh has 10 and 7 year-old sons and enjoys traveling and attending concerts with his wife, Alicia.
Admitted to Practice
- South Carolina, 2006
- North Carolina, 2007
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2012
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D. magna cum laude, 2006
- University of South Carolina, B.A. (English and Religious Studies) 2001
Professional Memberships, Awards and Accomplishments
- South Carolina Association for Justice, Vice President (2015-2016), Secretary-Treasurer (2014-2015), 5th Circuit Governor (2010-2014), Young Lawyers Chair (2008-2011)
- American Association for Justice, Revitalization Board Member 2012-Present
- AAJ Trucking Litigation Group, Member, Membership Committee, Underride Committee
- AAJ Nursing Home Litigation Group, Member
- AAJ Motor Vehicle Collision, Highway and Premises LiabilitySection, Member
- AAJ Attorneys Information Exchange Group, Member
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice, Member
- South Carolina Bar, Member
- North Carolina Bar, Member
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Harmony School, former Board of Directors
Publications and Presentations
- “Identifying, Investigating, and Resolving Third Party Claims,” South Carolina Workers Compensation Education Association “Comp Camp” 2010, SCAJ Auto Torts Seminar 2010
- “Protective Orders and Confidentiality Agreements”, SCAJ Bulletin, Fall 2010
- “Wise Guys Don’t Snitch, But: — Confronting Confidentiality Agreements,” 2013 STLA Mardis Gras Conference
- “Sideswipe/Lane Change/Underride Cases,” AAJ Jazz Fest Seminar, 2014
- “First Impressions Aren’t Always What They Seem: Overcoming an Adverse MAIT Report,” SCAJ Auto Torts Seminar, 2014
- “Basics of Auto Accident Law,” Moderator and Speaker, 2012
- “Trucking Industry and the Law,” NBI, 2012
- “Understanding Insurance in Trucking Cases,” NBI, 2012