William L. Smith, II
William L. “Bill” Smith, II is a founding partner of Chappell, Smith & Arden. He concentrates his practice in workers’ compensation and mediation. Bill graduated from the University of South Carolina School of Law and was admitted to the South Carolina Bar in 1984. In his years of practice, he has handled thousands of cases for injured workers. He uses his knowledge and experience in workers’ compensation to pursue justice, obtain the compensation and improve conditions for workers.
Admitted to Practice
• South Carolina, 1984
• U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 1985
• Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2006
• University of South Carolina School of Law, JD, 1984
• Limestone College, BA, summa cum laude, 1981
Professional Memberships, Awards and Accomplishments
- Workers’ Injury Law & Advocacy Group, Board of Directors / CLE Chair / Secretary / Executive Committee
- South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Educational Association, Past Board Member and Officer
- Past President of Injured Workers’ Advocates, 1999-2001: Sustaining Member and Serves on Legislative Committee.
- South Carolina Association for Justice, Member and formerly served on Legislative Committee
- Past Chairman of the Workers’ Compensation Section of the South Carolina Bar
- Kids Chance of South Carolina (an organization that provides scholarships to children of workers who are killed or sustain permanently disabling injuries as a result of on-the-job injuries), Past Board of Directors and Officer
- Governor’s Advisory Committee for Workers’ Compensation Laws (Representing the interests of injured workers. Appointed by the Honorable Mark Sanford and reappointed by the Honorable Nikki Haley)
- Best Lawyers in America, Recipient
- Limestone College, Board of Trustees, 2013 through present
- Martindale Hubbell- AV rated
- Currently Serves on the Commission of Lawyer Conduct – Appointed by the South Carolina Supreme Court
- Certified Mediator
- Workers’ Injury Law and Advocacy Group – Top Injured Workers’ Attorneys
- Orr v. Elastomeric Products, 323 S.C. 342, 474 S.E.2d 448 (Ct. App. 1996).
- Carlson v. Poston Packing Company, Inc., 2008 WL 9841504 (2008).
- Hargrove v. Titan Textile Co., 360 S.C. 276, 599 S.E. 2d 604 (ct. App. 2004).