Richland County Car Accident Lawyers: How to Obtain a Copy of a Car Accident Report in South Carolina

How to Obtain a Copy of a Car Accident Report in South Carolina

After a car accident happens, there will generally be a police report for the crash so long as law enforcement was called and officers responded to the scene. The car accident police report can be an important element to proving fault and, in turn, securing compensation for the crash-related property damage, injuries and other losses.

That’s because this report can document critical details, such as (but not necessarily limited to):

  • Whether any involved motorists were issued traffic citations (or arrested) following the crash
  • Whether any of the involved motorists admitted fault in the crash
  • Whether there were any witnesses to the collision (and, if so, the names and contact information for these parties)
  • The nature and scope of the damage caused by the crash
  • The weather and road conditions at the time of the crash.

Now that we’ve underscored the importance of the car accident police report, here’s how you can obtain one:

  • Complete Form FR-50, Request for Copy of Officer’s Report.
  • Mail the completed form, along with the $6 processing fee, to the following address:

Office of Financial Responsibility
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, CS 29016

You can also go to the DMV office (located at Wilson Blvd., Blythewood or on Shop Road, Columbia) to obtain a copy of this report in person.

Car Accident Police Reports: More Important Information

  • In South Carolina, part of the car accident reporting process will require that motorists involved in crashes complete Form FR-10 to verify their insurance coverage. Failing to complete this form and return it to the DMV within 15 days of the crash can result in the suspension of a driver’s license, as well as the vehicle registration.
  • Although car accident police reports often contain important information and evidence regarding the crash, these reports are not always accurate or complete. Consequently, carefully reviewing these reports can be important to determining when you may have been wrongly blamed for fault in the crash, when evidence may be missing, etc.

Contact a Columbia Personal Injury Lawyer at Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A. Attorneys at Law

If you have been hurt in a car crash or in any type of traffic collision, contact a Columbia SC personal injury lawyer at Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A. for clear answers about your rights, your potential case and your best options for recovery.

Since 1993, our lawyers have been dedicated to protecting the rights of injured people, working tirelessly to help them maximize their financial recoveries so they can restore their lives and focus on healing and moving on.

Call our firm at 866-881-8623 or contact us online to set up a free, no obligations initial consult with one of our lawyers. During this meeting, you can find out more about your rights, as well as how we can help you.

From our six office locations throughout South Carolina, our attorneys provide the highest quality legal services to injured people and families in Columbia, Alken, Camden, Sumter, Orangeburg, Greenville, Florence, Beaufort, Irmo, Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head Island, West Columbia, Rock Hill, Charleston, Lexington, Winnsboro, Summerville, and throughout South Carolina.