The value of a car accident case will hinge on a number of different factors, which an experienced attorney can identify and analyze to evaluate the worth of a specific car accident case.
While every car accident case is different – and while the specifics of a given case will be pivotal in determining its value, in general, the following are some of the primary factors to consider when trying to assess the value of a car accident case:
- The types of injuries sustained – Generally, when car accidents result in more severe injuries, victims can require intensive emergency treatments and/or longer-term medical care. In these cases, car accident settlements can include damages for all past and future medical needs related to the crash injuries. And this typically means that more serious injuries can increase the amount of damages in these cases (due to the fact that more expensive medical treatments are required for recovery).
- The level of property damage incurred – Another aspect of car accident settlements can include the property damage caused by a crash, including the vehicle-related damage. If the damage is more extensive and/or the vehicle is totaled, this aspect of car accident awards can also be higher (than if less property damage occurred).
- The negligent party & the nature of the negligence – Whether the liable party is a commercial driver is another element that can impact the value of car accident claims. That’s because, if commercial drivers’ negligence contributes to a crash – and this driver and/or his employer has a history of similar negligence, punitive damages may be available, again, potentially increasing the value of a car accident case.
The Value of Car Accident Cases: More Important Information
- How soon you file your case may impact its value – And this is generally due to the fact that, when victims wait longer to proceed with car accident cases, it’s far more likely that evidence to support their claim will get lost or become unavailable.For instance, accident witnesses’ memories can fade, witnesses may move or change their phone numbers, pictures of the wreck may get damaged or lost, etc. So, the bottom line here is that it’s generally best for crash victims to move forward with their case sooner, rather than later, if they are serious about their financial recovery.
- You cannot necessarily trust insurance companies to be honest about the value of your case – And this is because insurance companies will usually be focused on protecting their interests and profits, rather than victims’ rights to financial recovery. So, the bottom line here is that it’s best to retain an experienced car accident attorney to ensure your rights, interests and claim for compensation is protected throughout the recovery process.
Contact the Columbia SC Injury Attorneys at Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A. Attorneys at Law
If you have been injured in any type of traffic accident, contact a Columbia SC injury attorney at Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A. for clear answers about your rights and options for proceeding, as well as effective legal advocacy moving forward. Since 1993, our lawyers have been committed to protecting the rights of injured people and helping them succeed in their financial recovery.
Call our firm at 866-881-8623 or email us via the contact form on this page to set up a free, no obligations initial consult with one of our lawyers. During this meeting, you can find out more about your rights, as well as how we can help you.