Columbia, SC Car Accident Lawyer
Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a life-changing injury that can alter the course of one’s life and future. It is, by definition, a very severe injury of the brain that can be extremely debilitating physically, emotionally, and cognitively – and the effects can last forever.
How Does a Traumatic Brain Injury Occur?
A TBI can occur when the head is struck, jerked violently, or penetrated by a foreign object. Damage can be severe even when there is no open wound. More than half of all reported TBIs occur during car accidents. The sheer force of a collision during a car accident has the potential to cause extreme injuries. When a traumatic wreck occurs, the brain can collide with the interior of the skull, resulting in bruising (contusion) and/or bleeding (brain hemorrhage) – despite no outward signs of injury. And when the skull strikes an object such as a windshield or steering wheel, the impact can cause blunt force trauma.
Causes of Car Accidents
There are numerous reasons an accident can occur, and most are unpredictable. These include:
- Aggressive driving or road rage
- Distracted driving
- Driver error
- Driver fatigue
- Drunk driving
- Faulty traffic signals
- Reckless driving
- Road conditions
- Weather conditions
Other Factors that Contribute to Car Accident Injuries
Sometimes there are issues with the vehicle itself that further impact the injuries an occupant may sustain. These may include:
- Crashworthiness. The structure of a motor vehicle should be designed to withstand a crash and protect the occupants. Reasonably foreseeable circumstances should therefore be considered in the manufacturing of every car and truck. A flaw in the design could mean the difference between life and death, and between major and minor injury.
- Automotive Defect. If there are issues with the integrity of the structure of a vehicle or with a mechanical part, it can lead to an accident, or it can fail to protect occupants adequately in a car wreck. Examples of this include sudden acceleration, defective airbags, defective brakes, improper window glazing, defective seatbelts, and much more.
After a Motor Vehicle Accident
What follows a car accident and a traumatic brain injury may be unpredictable. The victim will certainly require ongoing medical care, and much more. The costs of recovery may be exorbitant, and may include:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Travel to and from medical appointments
- Home care
- Home modifications
- Lost wages – past and future
- Much more
A knowledgeable lawyer experienced with car accident claims can help you to navigate the path you or a loved one will take after a TBI. You may be entitled to financial compensation for your pain and suffering, for now and the future, especially if your recovery involves the potential of lifetime care.
Columbia Car Accident Lawyers at Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A. Will Fight for Your Rights
At Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A., we are committed to fighting to uphold your rights and recover all financial compensation to which you are entitled. Please call our Columbia car accident lawyers at 803-929-3600 or 800-531-9780 for a free consultation or contact us online. Our offices are conveniently located throughout South Carolina. We serve clients in Columbia, Aiken, Camden, Sumter, Orangeburg, Greenville, Florence, Beaufort, Irmo, Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head Island, West Columbia, Rock Hill, Charleston, Lexington, Winnsboro, Summerville, and throughout the counties of Lexington County, Richland County, Sumter County, Charleston County, Aiken County, Florence County, Lancaster County, York County, Spartanburg County, Orangeburg County, Kershaw County, and Newberry County.