Top 7 Most Dangerous Toys for Children
Toy-related injuries sent about 251,800 American children to emergency rooms last year.1 While about 42 percent of these injuries involved cuts and/or bruising, about 44 percent impacted children’s heads, increasing the risk of longer-term complications, like traumatic brain injuries.
Looking to pinpoint just which toys are most often responsible for these injuries, researchers at HealthGrove2 analyzed more than a decade of data from the National Electronic Injury Surveillance Survey (NEISS). They, then, used this analysis to rank the most dangerous types of toys for children. And here’s what they found…
Most Harmful Toys for Children
According to HealthGrove, the most harmful types of toys for children include (in order of most to less dangerous):
- Bicycles and tricycles – Injuring an average of 416,000 children each year in the U.S., bikes and trikes most commonly result in head injuries when accidents happen.
- Skateboards – Causing about 67,600 children to be injured each year, skateboards tend to cause ankle injuries, such as sprains or broken ankles, when accidents take place.
- Trampolines – Injuring an average of 64,500 children annually, trampolines also tend to result in ankle injuries, more often than other types of injuries, when accidents occur.
- Fishing poles & equipment – Causing nearly 46,800 children to be injured annually, fishing equipment tends to result in finger and hand injuries when accidents happen.
- Rollerblades – Injuring about 41,500 children each year, rollerblades typically cause wrist injuries when accidents take place.
- Scooters – Causing nearly 32,900 children to seek emergency care each year, scooters most commonly result in facial and head injuries when accidents occur.
- Toy guns – Injuring about 20,600 children each year, toy guns also tend to cause facial and head injuries when accidents happen.
Are you surprised to see sporting equipment dominate the top “most dangerous toys” for children? Tell us what you think about this ranking on Facebook & Google+.
Contact the Columbia SC Personal Injury Lawyers at Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A. Attorneys at Law
If you or someone you love has been harmed by a toy, a consumer product or a medical device, contact the Columbia SC personal injury lawyers at Chappell Smith & Arden, P.A. for clear answers about your rights and options, as well as effective legal advocacy moving forward. Since 1993, our lawyers have been committed to protecting the rights of injured people and working relentlessly to help them succeed in their financial recovery.
Call our firm at 866-881-8623 or email us via the contact form on this page to set up a free, no obligations initial consult with one of our lawyers. During this meeting, you can find out more about your rights, as well as how we can help you.
From our six office locations throughout South Carolina, our attorneys provide the highest quality legal services to injured people and families in Columbia, Alken, Camden, Sumter, Orangeburg, Greenville, Florence, Beaufort, Irmo, Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head Island, West Columbia, Rock Hill, Charleston, Lexington, Winnsboro, Summerville, and throughout South Carolina.
1: According to the CPSC
2: HealthGrove Study